World Cup 2010
Match Reports

Scotland 0-2 England
European Championship 2000 Qualifier - Playoff (1st Leg)
Hampden Park, Glasgow, Scotland - Saturday 13 November 1999

This much anticipated match was won by two goals by Paul Scholes, taking England closer to qualifying for next summer's Euro 2000 championship finals in Belgium and Holland. They now go to Wembley in 4 days to complete their mission.

The first chance of this highly charged game went to Scotland who almost scored from a corner but the ball went out of play from a Scottish player after Seaman failed to capture the ball. Then England created some promising play through Owen but but the danger was cleared by the home team. Hendry stepped in a couple of times for his country to prevent England's forwards from scoring.

Craig Burley put in a great cross after 14 minutes but Campbell headed the ball out of play to stop Gallacher causing trouble for Seaman. Gallacher, a moment later, was booked for a foul on Michael Owen and will now miss the second leg of this tie at Wembley on Wednesday.

In a tense match, England finally took the lead after 21 minutes when Paul Scholes received a pass from Campbell on his chest, brought the ball down to the ground and thumped the ball into Scotland's goal.

Scotland almost equalised a minute later when England's defenders let through Gallacher but Seaman was able to stop the shot with his leg. There was another heart-stopping moment 5 minutes later when Dodds fell to the ground in England's penalty area but the referee dismissed any Scotland claims for a penalty. Scotland were also screaming for a penalty two minutes later when Dodds protested that he was held in the area, but again the referee waved 'play-on'.

With three minutes of the first half remaining England extended their lead, again through Scholes. The goal was started by Beckham who took a free-kick, finding Scholes free to head home the ball past Sullivan. England now had a comfortable lead going into the half-time break but again, Scotland threatened immediately after the re-start, but Dodds was denied by the crossbar. England also had a chance before the whistle for the break to make it 3-0 but Hendry cleared the ball away from Owen before any real danger could emerge.

At the start of the second half England appealled for a penalty when Scholes looked to be fouled in Scotland's area but today the referee was not awarding penalties it seemed. Scotland furiously tried to pull themselves back into this game but all their efforts were to no avail. They had a chance through Hutchinson who tried to score with his head from a corner but his effort went over the crossbar.

England made the first substitution of the game after 67 minutes when Andy Cole was sent on to replace Owen. His first chance of the game came in the 71st minute but his header was cleared by Scotland's defenders. Ince then had a nice volley from 25 yards out but Sullivan was able to collect the ball easily.

The best chances of the remaining game went England's way but they couldn't deliver the final touch but they had done enough to secure a win away from home and have set themselves up well for the second leg at Wembley next week.


Sullivan, Weir, Ritchie, Dailly, Hendry, Ferguson, Dodds, Burley, Gallacher (Burchill 82 mins), Hutchinson, Collins.
Subs Not Used: Calderwood, Camerson, Davidson, Durrant, McCann, Gould.

Seaman, P Neville, Campbell, Ince, Adams, Keown, Beckham, Scholes, Shearer, Owen (Andy Cole 67 mins), Redknapp.
Subs Not Used: Southgate, Froggatt, Wise, Sinclair, Phillips, Martyn. (Full Squad)

Match Details

England Scorers: Scholes 21 & 42 mins

Scotland cautions: Hendry, Gallacher, Dially, Ferguson, Hutchinson
England cautions: Scholes, Neville, Redknapp, Adams, Ince

Manuel Diaz-Vega (Spain)

Attendance: 50,132