World Cup 2010
Match Reports

England 2 South Africa 1
Old Trafford, Manchester, England - Saturday 24 May 1997

A week before England meet Poland in a World Cup qualifying game, a historic match was being played at Old Trafford against South Africa. On an unusual stage for the national side, England ventured out of London for this friendly, to Manchester, to the delight of over 52,000 fans.

Hoddle obviously saw the first meeting between the two countries as an opportunity to try new players, as he made eight changes to his side who faced Georgia on 30th April. Only Lee, Le Saux and Sheringham were the survivors from that match.

In the opening period of play England created a few possible goalscoring opportunities, and should have had a penalty awarded when Phil Neville was brought down in the area by Radebe, but the referee denied the appeals. Sheringham was in good form and put Ian Wright through but Arendse prevented the home side taking the lead when he can off his line to block the shot.

With 20 minutes of play gone, Sheringham's hard work paid off. He provided the long cross to Neville on the right who controlled the ball to put Lee through but a South African defender intercepted. Lee did however win the ball back, and struck the ball into the back of the net for his second international goal.

Seven minutes of the first half were remaining when it looked like Wright may score but Arendse was there again to stop the Arsenal striker taking advantage of play again created by Sheringham. However, on the 43rd minute South Africa made the score 1-1, when after England 'keeper Nigel Martyn lost the ball, Moshoeu's overhead kick flew towards the goal and Masinga was on hand to head the ball in for the equaliser. Prior to this the visitors only had one other decent attempt, when Tinkler powered the ball from 25 yards.

Ten minutes into the second half David Batty replaced Redknapp, who was stretchered off with an ankle injury, after a vicious tackle by Masinga. It was later found that he had broken his ankle.

With fifteen minutes of the game remaining England went ahead again when Gascoigne took a free-kick, Scholes headed it on to Wright and the Arsenal player tucked the ball away into the net. This was Wright's first goal since 1993.

In the final minute Buthelezi tackled Gascoigne hard leaving the Glasgow Rangers player requiring to be carried off the field with a calf injury. This will be a blow to Hoddle if Gascoigne is unavailable as well as Redknapp, for next week's game in Poland.


Martyn, P Neville, Pearce, Keown, Southgate, Le Saux (Beckham 81 mins), Redknapp (Batty 57 mins), Gascoigne (Campbell 90 mins), Wright, Sheringham (Scholes 65 mins), Lee.
Subs Not Used: Flowers, Andy Cole.

Arendse, Motaung, Fish, Torvey, Radebe, Khumalo (Mkhalele 77 min), Tinkler (Bartlett 89 min), Moshoeu, Masinga (Buthelezi 89 min), Augustine (Sikhosana 55 min), Moeti.
Subs Not Used: Koumantarakis.

Match Details

England Scorers: Lee (20 mins), Wright (76 mins)
South Africa Scorer: Masinga 43 min

Cautions: None

Referee: A Frisk (Sweden)

Attendance: 52,676