World Cup 2010
Match Reports

England 2-1 Hungary
Wembley, London, England - Wednesday 11 August 2010

Following a hugely disappointing World Cup campaign, Fabio Capello made some sweeping changes to his squad. Several youngsters were included in England's first squad of the of new season - Keiran Gibbs and Jack Wilshere got their first call-up to the senior set-up. Bolton's Bobby Zamora also received his first call from Capello at the age of 29. Rio Ferdinand was still out with an injury he picked up during England's first training session in South Africa, and there was no place for Joe Cole who recently completed a transfer from Chelsea to Liverpool.

As well as squad changes, England's formation also saw a change at the start of the first half with Wayne Rooney being the sole man up front. The strategy appeared to be working as with only three minutes on the clock the Manchester United striker had the ball in the back of the net, but he was ruled off side.

It took 62 minutes of play before the deadlock was broken and it was the visitors who went into the lead, after the home side switched back to a familiar 4-4-2 formation at half-time. Koman crossed the ball into the 6-yard area, beating Joe Hart. Jagielka tried to avert danger but made contact with the ball. Dawson was on the goal-line, and tried to prevent the goal, but the referee indicated Hungary were ahead. England had reason to feel aggrieved as it appeared that the ball did not fully cross the line. Perhaps more weight to the argument for goal-line technology.

Seven minutes later Steven Gerrard scored a lovely long-range goal after Gibbs lost possession deep in Hungary's half. The ball was picked up by an unmarked Steven Gerrard, who struck the ball into the top right corner from about 30 yards out. A lovely goal. In the 73rd minute England scored the game winner, thanks again to captain, Gerrard. Having beaten several Hungarian players, Gerrard hit the ball with the outside of his right foot past Kiraly and into the net. So, in England's first outing of the new season they left Wembley with a win, albeit in a friendly. Attention now turns to England's European Championship qualifiers which begin early next month.

There was speculation during the match that David Beckham was to retire from international football, but he stated that was not the case. Following the game, Fabio Capello addressed the matter saying he would not be selecting Beckham for competitive England matches. The end of a era it would seem, but I wouldn't rule Beckham out of playing in an England shirt in the future. Capello had mentioned a possible farewell match for the former England captain, but it remains to be seen if that is something Beckham would like to do. It may be that once again, Beckham will use Capello's rejection as motivation and is able to fight for a place in the squad.


Hart #1, Terry #6 (Dawson 46 mins - #13), Jagielka #5, A Cole #3 (Gibbs 46 mins - #15), G Johnson #2, Barry #11, Lampard #8 (Zamora 46 mins - #20), Gerrard #4 - Captain (Wilshere 83 mins - #18), Rooney #10 (Milner 66 mins - #16), A Johnson #9, Walcott #7 (A Young 46 mins - #17).
Subs Not Used: Loach #12, Fielding #21, C Cole #19, Cahill #14. (Full Squad)

Kiraly #1, Juhasz #4, Liptak #2 (Komlosi 55 mins - #16), Vanczak #3 (Laczko 46 mins - #13), Szelesi #5, Elek #9 (Toth 59 mins - #14), Vadocz #6, Huszti #11 (Hajnal 46 mins - #15), Dzsudzsak #7 (Koman 46 mins - #20), Rudolf #8 (Priskin 83 mins - #18), Gera #10 - Captain.
Subs Not Used: Czvitkovics #17, Fulop #12, Vermes #19.

Match Details

England Goals: Gerrard (69 & 73 mins)
Hungary Goal: Jagielka OG (62 mins)

Hungary Cautions: Rudolf (49 mins), Laczko (65 mins), Koman (74 mins)

Referee: Stephane Lannoy (France)

Attendance: 72,024