World Cup 2010
Match Reports

England 3 Estonia 0
European Championship Qualifier - Group E
Wembley Stadium, London, England - Saturday 13 October 2007

All eyes are on the Russia match at the moment and England's clash with the country on Wednesday. However, before the England team depart for Moscow, they had a match at Wembley against Estonia, and they were able to pick up the required three points to keep them on track for qualification for next summer's European Championships. England captain, John Terry, sat this game out due to a knee injury. Dean Ashton and Andy Johnson had pulled out of the squad prior to the match with injuries, and missing also due to injuries were Owen Hargreaves, Michael Carrick, Gary Neville and David Beckham.

Inside the first thirty seconds, Michael Owen, had a one-on-one with Mart Poom, but Estonia's 'keeper smoothered the ball. In the eleventh minute, with a nice give-and-go inside the box between Wright-Phillips and Micah Richards, the Chelsea player took a shot at goal and the ball went through Poom's legs and into the net. An early goal for the homeside.

In the twenty-first minute, Owen had another one-on-one with Poom but while the goalkeeper saved the shot, Owen was offside. The game came to life in the 32nd minute when Wayne Rooney scored his first competitive goal for England since 21 June 2004. Joe Cole sent in a cross from the left side of the field, and Rooney fired in a shot from inside the area. The ball went past Poom thanks to a deflection from one of Estonia's defenders.

In the 33rd minute, Ashley Cole whipped in the ball, and on the edge of the area Rahn headed the ball into his own net from 20-yards!

McClaren withdrew Ferdinand during half-time as the Manchester United defender would miss Wednesday's trip to Russia if he was given a yellow card today. Four minutes into the second half and England needed to make another substitution as Ashley Cole injured his left ankle while trying to thwart a rare Estonian attack. He is doubtful for Wednesday's game.

During the second period of play, Owen had his third one-on-one with the 'keeper but was offside again. As the match faded out, both Gerrard and Joe Cole should have done better in front of Estonia's goal but as the final whistle blew, the score remained at 3-0. A good result and it's likely that England eased up a little in the second half being three goals up and with a tough match approaching in four days.

Attention now turns to the big match on Wednesday, and if England beat Russia they will qualify for Euro 2008.


Robinson #1, Campbell #6, A Cole #3 (P Neville 49 mins - #14), Ferdinand #5 (Lescott 46 mins - #12), Richards #2, Barry #7, J Cole #11, Gerrard #4 - Captain, Wright-Phillips #8, Owen #10 (Lampard 70 mins - #15), Rooney #9.
Subs Not Used: James #13, Bentley #16, Crouch #17, Defoe #18. (Full Squad)

Poom #1, Jaager #17, Kruglov #5, Piiroja #4, Stepanov #3, Dmitrijev #6, Klavan #9, Lindpere #10, Rahn #21, Kink #15 (Viikmae 62 mins - #15), Saag #18.
Subs Not Used: Aksalu #30, Allas #2, Barengrub #19, Rooba #13, Reim #7, Terehhov #29.

Match Details

England Goals: Wright-Phillips (11 mins), Rooney (32 mins), Rahn OG (33 mins).

England Caution: None
Estonia Caution: Rahn (12 mins), Lindpere (73 mins)

Referee: Nicolai Vollquartz (Denmark)

Attendance: 86,655